District History The Durham Recreation and Park District began with the Durham Community Park. This park has served as a social gathering place since the inception of the community. The twenty-four acre park was specifically set aside when land allocations were established for the area in 1918. The district gained responsibility for the park in 1947. Through a property assessment of five cents, the District maintained and operated the park. The facility continues to be the largest District park area.
The Durham Recreation and Park District is an independent Special District under the supervising authority of its own elected Board of Directors, as authorized in the Public Resources Code.